100 things that are lying around in the corners of your dungeon.
(A List to be used just for general strange things lying around.)
I suppose some of these could spawn minor encounters or be small adventure hooks in their own right, though how far a player or GM woudl want to run with that is naturally up to them.
The player says, “I search the room.”
The Gm says….
1. A ball of hair containing 1. A human tooth 2. A gold coin 3. Melted wax 4. A desiccated mouse 5 a shred of silk 6. A broken piece of chalk.
2. A broken clay mask
2. A broken clay mask
3. A humanoid femur carved into a flute.
4. 1d4 gold coins
5. A melted candle
6. A rotten apple covered in aggressive maggots. (Stat out as a small swarm.)
7. A moldy flyer advertising a long past show called “The stories of Johann.”
8. A smashed potion bottle with one quarter dose from a random potion still salvageable. (Pick a random effect and make it one quarter as effective.)
9. A turnip carved to represent the head of a wolf.
10. A scrap of tattered 1.flag 2.tartan 3.cotton under clothing 4.cape 6.pants
11. A skull with a cross bow bolt lodged through it.
12.A rotten sack containing moldy rice and 1d4 vermin.
13. The paw of Vecna’s pet gerbil. An evil artifact, to gerbils.
15. A pile of coals, some grey some still black.
16. A fallen door that looks like something has in dug underneath it. Under it can be found 1.a carrion crawler. 2. A bag containing 1d100 gold coins 3. A crushed dwarf skeleton 4. a very large and angry woodchuck 5.A ghoul 6.A coiled up sleeping snake
17. A small moldy paper box colored red and containing a pile of papers along with two thin almost completely rotten books.
18. A leather belt.
19. A small potted plant which looks relatively healthy. 1. Mint 2. A maple sapling 3. A white birch sapling 4.Basil 6. A sapling Man trapper.
20. A pile of 1d100 rusty nails.
21. A clutch of pool ball sized spider eggs.
22. A batch of strange mushrooms 1.Poison hallucinogenic 3.healing 4. intelligent and awake.
23. A large pile of Bat Guano.
24. A pile of ashes containing flakes of metal, bone, and 1d20 teeth.
25. A pile of clam and muscle shells.
26. A finger. (Could be any of the 8, but it's not a thumb.)
27. A rusty key, It has obviously been here a long time.
28. A chunk of rotten meat that has the distinct smell of smoke, apple wood smoke to be exact.
29. A small birds nest containing 1. A small but very aggressive bird 2. Small blue eggs (1d4) 3. A strange looking baby chick. 4. A large wise ass Raven who will now try to steal from you.
30. A puddle of bubbling mud.
40. A back pack containing 1. A small sewing kit 2.clothing 3.rotten books 4.a venomous snake 5. A book titled “How to Love Your Inner Kobold” 6.spore cloud producing mold.
41. A jar of pickled eggs.
42. A strange twine and wicker totem.
43. The mostly rotten corpse of a deer, the characters will all smell it long before they see it.
44. An expended torch.
45. A busted up tinder box, an empty flask of oil, and some unlit tinder.
46. A bag of wet sand.
47. A smashed ale stein decorated with scenes of human torture and butchery.
48. A bag containing 1d4 gold coins
49. A melted candle
50. A pile of dirty clothing swarmed with rodents. (Stat out as a small swarm.)
51. A smashed human skull
52. A Cracked lute with rotten strings.
53. A turnip carved to represent a running human.
54. A puddle of congealed blood.
55. A tiny gelatinous cube only 2 inches across and 3 inches tall... it is still acidic.
56. A small puzzle box.
57. A cracked Ax handle with no head.
58. A bent saw.
59. A pile of still warm coals.
60. A bottle of ladies lilac perfume.
61. A smashed mirror.
62. The husk of a large insect.
63. A small book containing musical staff and a partial completed musical score.
64. (1d6) Clay, amphora, pots and jars containing 1. nothing but dirt and dust 2.wine 3.pickled eyes 4.rancid rice 5.water 6.(1d100) gold each.
65. A set of writing instruments, pen and quill, a blotter,with no ink.
67. a horse shoe.
68. a nearly completely rusted away set of plate mail containing a skeleton
69. A lump of bees wax and mica powder in 1.red 2.white 3.orange 4.Green
70. A small farmers implement 1.rake 2. hoe 3.shovel 4.sickle wrapped in dirty rags
71. Torn open brown paper wrappers.
72. A smashed chest, rotting and rusting away.
73. A piece of statuary in plaster representing 1.An angel 2.A lion 3.Thodin 4.A wolf 5.A dragon 6.A serpent 7.A symbol of evil 8.A warrior 9.A demon 10.An abstract form.
74. a wand snapped in half, burnt at both ends.
75. A tattered map to this local underground are, it looks very old and may well be out of date.
76. a wooden bucket with 1-3 a hole in the bottom, 4-6 no hole in the bottom.
77. A scalp.
78. An old dirty bandage.
79. A sack containing horse feed and a brush.
80. 1d20 arrows laid in a neat pile.
81. A large but harmless black Newt.
82. A leather pouch containing a quarter pound of salt.
83. An apparently empty lidless masons jar labeled "In case of emergency open."
84. A rotting leather bag containing a set of rusty thieves tools, a moldy deck of playing cards, and 1d4 gold.
85. A small onyx figurine depicting a Scottish wolfhound.
86. A ball of string, the free end has been singed.
87. A rusty compass, that is stuck pointing south west.
88. A cracked snow globe.
89. A document torn to shreds and tossed in the corner that seems to a a contract 1.between a retainer and an adventurer. 2.An assassin's contract 3.A sale of land between two parties. 4.An oath of allegiance between a wizard and some evil entity.
90. An elegant candle holder.
91. The skeleton of a large fish.
92. The dried peels form several different kinds of citrus fruits and several hash marks scratched on the wall.
93. A rotten leather whip.
94. Roll twice on this chart discount another result of 94. (Or, A half eaten moldy cheese-wheel in cloth, if the Gm prefers a result.)
95. Two skeletons with their hands locked around each others throats.
96. A molds and nearly rotten away spell book, lying next to a skeleton that's been ripped in two.
97. A smashed coffin full of dirt. (D4 vermin as well)
98. Three ration packs still sealed in their iron casings.
99. a child's baby doll toy, dirty and tattered, missing an eye.
100. A face recently removed from an unfortunate. 1.Elf 2.Dwarf 3.human 4.Halfling 5.Orc 6.Kobold.